Some content may contain affiliate links to products which means we could earn a fee on your purchase. Thank you for visiting
Do you know What Peanut Butter is Safe for Dogs? If not, this article contains a list of DOG SAFE Peanut Butter and is updated on a regular basis. Our safe peanut butter list contains over 30 brands of peanut butter is here to help dog owners understand which peanut butter is safe for dogs to eat.
What is a Dog Safe Peanut Butter Brand?
The brand name of Peanut Butter is not as Important as the actual ingredients listed on the jar. In fact, some of the best known brands are loaded with added fats and sugars that are not healthy for dogs. A safe dog peanut butter brand will contain only one or 2 ingredients: peanuts or peanuts and salt.
Luckily, there are plenty of brands making dog-friendly peanut butter and the good news is that a safe peanut butter can be enjoyed by the whole family. The above photo is a picture of Whole Foods 365 brand peanut which has a handful of, healthy, dog friendly lines peanut butter.
But use caution and always read the actual label on the jar in hand. Many brands make different versions of peanut butter so it’s not safe to assume every line (within the same brand) is healthy for your dog.
As you’ll see coming up, we will not make a blanket statement about a particular brand of peanut butter. Instead we’ll review exact offerings within many well-known peanut butter makers.
At the end of the day, choose any brand for your pooch that does NOT contain XYLITOL, added Fats or added sugars and you’ll be good to go!
Why Dog’s Need Safe Peanut Butter
Pet owners who give their dogs peanut butter are being warned of the deadly sweetener called Xylitol (pronounced: ZY-lit-all). In addition to Xylitol being deadly to our dogs, other ingredients found in major peanut butter brands are inadvertently making dogs sick.
That’s because many peanut butter brands we were raised on contain high amounts of sugar and added hydrogenated oils that our dogs cannot digest or metabolize efficiently.
The good news: Quality Peanut Butter for your dog doesn’t have to be expensive. We are going to dive deep into these toxic and harmful ingredients but for those of you that want a quick recommendation for a safe dog peanut butter here they are….
At SeniorDogDays, we recommend the following SAFE peanut butters for a healthy, protein treat most dogs absolutely love:
Jars Are Clickable for Price Check
|AWARD||Best Budget PB|
|Best Budget PB|
|Best Bulk PB
|Jar Size||16 Oz||16 Oz||16 Oz (6)|
|1 Jar||1 Jar||6 Jars|
|Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
How to Verify if YOUR Peanut Butter is Safe For Dogs?
If you want to see the safety rating of over 30 brands (listed alphabetically) or if you want to type the peanut butter you are using into our safety database click here: SAFE DOG PEANUT BUTTER DATABASE. This link will take you to our database that labels each peanut butter or you can just continue reading to find which peanut butters are:
We continue this article by going into much more detail about xylitol and other unsafe ingredients when using peanut butter as a dog treat. We’ll also be listing the actual ingredients listed in over 30 brands and plot the peanut butters into a pyramid which you can print.
We actively update this list and now we are at 30 brands as of December 2020. Here we go…
Top Question #1 – What are Unsafe Peanut Butter Ingredients to Give Dogs?
Unsafe or Deadly Peanut Butter Ingredients for Dogs:
- Xylitol – Known to be deadly in even tiny amounts (worse than dark chocolate)
- Palm oil – Known to cause some dogs watery diarrhea and dehydration, and even pancreatitis – The quality varies widely and therefore one cannot be guaranteed if it is of high quality or even properly sourced.
- Hydrogenated oils – Known to give some dogs watery diarrhea and other gastrointestinal disturbances as well as a dull, dry coat and excessive shedding.
- Sugar, Molasses – Known to cause vomiting, diarrhea, weight gain and cavities
Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs
How deadly is xylitol for dogs? Even a small amount of xylitol can cause seizures, liver failure and result in the death of your dog. Never knowingly give your dog food containing xylitol, including peanut butter. Store foods containing xylitol on high shelves or better yet; keep them out of the home.
Research shows that most dogs who suffer the toxic effects of xylitol did so after “getting into” sugar-free gums and candies that contained the ingredient (think unattended Christmas stockings and Easter baskets).
Safe for humans, deadly to our dogs, Xylitol is now sometimes added in the commonly fed treat: peanut butter, which is why there is now a peanut butter alert for dogs.
If you like to eat a brand of peanut butter containing xylitol, then your dog needs his or her own brand without xylitol like the ones we recommended above, or the ones listed as SAFE in our Peanut Butter Database (Link)
Question #2 – What Peanut Butter Brands are Safe to Give Dogs vs. Unsafe Brands
Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs is so deadly that we made a quick view pyramid which shows exactly which brands are safe for dogs. And it’s not just about Xylitol; the other additives that can cause diarrhea, pancreatitis, cavities and diabetes are included in the pyramid:
If your brand isn’t on the list, simply read your label and match the ingredients to the pyramid or type it into our database.
Now let’s talk about texture: creamy vs. crunchy.
Is Chunky Peanut Butter Bad for Dogs?
Our recommendation for safe dog peanut butter is significantly slanted toward buying the creamy version and NOT chunky. While chunky isn’t going to be nutritionally worse, the chunky versions can cause issues in dogs with IBS or IBD.
Chunks also get stuck in teeth and can get trapped in the jowls and gum line and are simply far more likely to cause irritation. My dog has an extra large mouth, but still, he gets aggravated with chunky peanut butter, so we always use creamy.
Where to Find Safe Peanut Butter for Dogs?
online and delivered to your door
I know it’s tempting to buy really cheap peanut butter, but unless the ingredients are simply: peanuts or peanuts and salt, it’s not going to be good for your dog. In many cases, good peanut butters are not that much more like the budget friendly 365 brand (link) and Smuckers Organic (link) found on amazon and you won’t have to worry about accidentally making your dog sick.
Senior Dog Day TIP: to help save money on other dog products, read our in-house article that shows how we find hundreds of dollars worth of free dog products on a regular basis. link: how to get free dog stuff.
If you’re out grocery shopping
Smuckers Organic is found in many large grocery chains, especially those that carry organic lines.
Whole Foods – If you shop at Whole Foods you can often find 365 Brand (it’s a Whole Foods Line) and they often carry Santa Cruz Brand. BE CAREFUL– Some 365 Brands of peanut butter contain sugar and palm oil. Read the label before putting it in your cart.
If you don’t have good grocery store options or if you like to save time by shopping online, you can have perfectly safe peanut butter shipped to your door. I’ve found the cost to be the same (or cheaper) than what I find at the supermarket.
Question #3 – What are the Actual Ingredients in Well-Known Peanut Butters?
We will begin at the top of the peanut butter list for dogs pyramid and work our way down. So the safest peanut butter for dogs will be first and in this order:
- Peanut Butter Brands Perfectly Safe for Dogs
- Safe for peanut tolerant dogs
- Peanut Butter Brands Safe For Dogs (Salt)
- Safe for peanut and sodium tolerant dogs
- Peanut Butter Brands Unsafe for Dogs – Palm Oils, Sugars, Hydrogenated, Chemicals
- Not recommended for dogs due unwanted health complications
- Peanut Butter Brands Toxic for Dogs with Xylitol
- Peanut Butter Brands with Xylitol can Kill Your Dog
What Peanut Butter is Safe for Dogs
Dog safe peanut butter brands are listed in the pyramid below. The safest sit at the top of the pyramid list because they are just 100% peanuts. No added salt, no added sugar, no added oils, no chemicals.
If you use a SAFE peanut butter, you can fill dog Kongs (link to product) or peanut butter pads (link to product) and be confident your dog is getting a tasty, all natural treat without sugar or harmful fillers.
Most dog owners know about kongs, but peanut butter pads are relatively new and great for bathtime or therapy distraction.
Dog safe peanut butter brand ingredients listed in alphabetical order
365 Everyday Value Peanut Butter Ingredients
Top Pick for Budget Friendly in Plastic
- Organic, Creamy, Unsalted, Unsweetened: Ingredients: Organic dry roasted peanuts
Brad’s Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Organic and Natural Varieties:Ingredients: Peanuts
Crazy Richard’s Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Creamy and Crunchy Versions:Ingredients: Peanuts
My Protein Peanut Butter Ingredients
- All Natural Style: Ingredients: Peanuts
Once Again Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Organic Creamy or Crunchy:Ingredients: Organically grown, dry roasted unblanched (with peanut skins) peanuts.
Teddie’s Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Smooth Unsalted Old Fashioned Peanut Butter: Ingredients: Peanuts.
2 Ingredient Peanut Butter Brands Safe for Dogs
Just Peanuts and Salt
I will also use these dog safe brands because they are very often on my shelf. I’m particularly fond of Smucker’s and it’s my go to peanut butter for my dog if our local co-op is out of freshly ground peanut butter.
But these are all good, dog safe peanut butter brands; it just depends on what is available to you. These are listed alphabetically.
Adams Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Natural Creamy or Crunchy :Ingredients: PEANUTS, CONTAINS 1% OR LESS OF SALT.
Brandless Organic Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Creamy: INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC PEANUTS AND SEA SALT.
Kirkland Organic Peanut Butter Ingredients
Top Pick for Best Flavor – This PB is DELICIOUS!
- Creamy: US Valencia Peanuts, Sea Salt
Laura Scudder Peanut Butter Ingredients
Top Pick for Best Budget Friendly in Glass Jar and Top Pick for Best Bulk Purchase
- Old Fashioned Creamy: Ingredients: Peanuts, 1% Salt
Prince & Spring Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Organic Creamy:INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC DRY ROASTED PEANUTS AND SEA SALT.
Santa Cruz Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Organic Dark Roasted Creamy: INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC ROASTED PEANUTS, CONTAINS 1% OR LESS OF SALT.
Smucker’s Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Natural Creamy Peanut Butter:INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS, CONTAINS 1% OR LESS OF SALT.
Wild Friends Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Natural Classic Creamy:INGREDIENTS: ROASTED PEANUTS, SEA SALT.
From this point forward, I will not be recommending any more brand of peanut butter for dogs. This is because all of the brands that follow (including household favorites) are adding hydrogenated oils, sweeteners, sugars, additives and or emulsifies that just aren’t healthy for our dogs.
Peanut Butter Brands That are Unsafe for Dogs
Palm Oil, Other Oils, Soybeans, Sugar, Sweeteners, Additives, or Emulsifiers
Is Peter Pan good for dogs? How about Skippy or Jif, are they good for dogs? While I didn’t see versions that used Xylitol, these and many other brands are made with the human in mind…not our dog’s health.
Brands like Skippy, Jif and Peter Pan contain added oils, sugars, emulsifies or chemicals that can also be harmful or at the very least, unhealthy to our dogs. Why take the chance? These brands are listed alphabetically.
ALDI -Peanut Delight Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Creamy:Ingredients: Made From Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Molasses, Fully Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils, Rapeseed, Cottonseed, Soybean, Salt
Chef’s Quality Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Creamy:Ingredients: Dry Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Hydrogenated rapeseed oil
Earth Balance Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Natural Creamy: Ingredients: Peanuts, flaxseed, peanut oil, agave syrup, palm fruit oil, and salt.
Tip: Flaxseed has to be kept in the refrigerator or it goes rancid.
Jif Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Creamy Version:Ingredients: MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS AND SUGAR. CONTAINS 2%OR LESS OF: MOLASSES, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, SALT.
- Natural Version:Ingredients; MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS, SUGAR, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: PALM OIL,
- SALT, MOLASSES.
Justin’s Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Classic Peanut Butter:Ingredients: DRY ROASTED PEANUTS, PALM OIL.
Maranatha Organic Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Organic Version: Ingredients: Organic Dry Roasted Peanuts, Organic Palm Oil. May Contain Almonds
Peter Pan Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Creamy:Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Less Than 2% Of: Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Cottonseed And Rapeseed), Salt, Partially Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil.
Simple Truth Organic Peanut Butter Ingredients
- No Stir Creamy:Ingredients: Organic peanuts, organic palm oil, organic cane sugar, sea salt.
Skippy Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Natural Creamy:Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Sugar, Palm Oil, Salt
Smart Balance Peanut Butter Ingredients
- All Natural Creamy:Ingredients: PEANUT BUTTER (PEANUTS, DRIED CANE SYRUP, SALT, MOLASSES), OIL BLEND (PALM FRUIT AND FLAXSEED OILS).
Sure Fine Peanut Butter Ingredients
- Creamy: INGREDIENTS: SELECTED ROASTED PEANUTS, SUGAR, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COTTONSEED AND RAPESEED), MOLASSES, SALT, AND MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES.
Unsafe Peanut Butter Brands with Xylitol
These Peanut Butter Brands are Poisonous to Dogs
Veterinarians across the globe warn that xylitol can kill your dog and xylitol is far more toxic than dark chocolate and in smaller quantities. Xylitol is not healthy for dogs and in fact, it kills dogs. Which brands of peanut butter contain xylitol? All of these brands of peanut butter have xylitol:
Go Nutts, Co. Peanut Butter Contains Xylitol
- It is nearly impossible to see the entire list of ingredients on their website. Is xylitol listed in ingredients? No, so I called them. As of February, 2019, all of their peanut butters have Xylitol except for Pumpkin and Espresso (espresso should not be given to your dog either).
No Cow Peanut Butter Contains Xylitol
- INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS, PROTEIN BLEND (BROWN RICE PROTEIN, PEA PROTIEN), ORGANIC CANOLA OIL, XYLITOL, PEANUT FLOUR, PALM OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT, MONK FRUIT, STEVIA.
Nuts ‘n More Peanut Butter Contains Xylitol
- INGREDIENTS: PEANUTS, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, ORGANIC FLAX, BIRCH XYLITOL, NATURAL EXTRACT
Nutty By Nature Peanut Butter Contains Xylitol
- DRY ROASTED PEANUTS, WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, PEANUT OIL, XYLITOL, GROUND FLAX SEEDS AND CHIA SEEDS.
P28 Peanut Butter Contains Xylitol
- High Protein Peanut Butter:INGREDIENTS: DRY ROASTED PEANUTS, WHEY PROTIEN ISOLATE, PEANUT OIL, XYLITOL.
Final Thought on Peanut Butter Safety for Dogs
The likelihood that dogs eating peanut butter is going to end anytime soon, is probably not going to happen. In peanut tolerant dogs, peanut butter is a fun, satisfying, even healthy treat to fill Kongs (link to product) or to smear all over peanut butter pads (link to product) when trying to calm a dog or keep them occupied.
Here is a picture of our peanut butter pads. You just spread healthy dog peanut butter across the silicone pad and your dog get a treat that also keeps him occupied. The suction cup backing sticks great to a plate or baking tray. Some people even put the on their storm door glass.
All you have to do to continue the fun, healthy treat time, is buy a peanut butter that is SAFE for DOGS and now you know exactly what to look for whether you’re out shopping or have a safe peanut butter shipped to your door.
Thanks for visiting Senior Dog Days!
Share this Image On Your Site
Related Article: 3 Ingredient, NO Bake Dog Treats complete with instructional video.